A company has to relate to its customers in different ways. SMS communication is just one of the working models that you can count on and, generally, it is present in most global plans of the big brands.
If you have not started using it yet, we want to explain everything about it. Thus, you will know what is the best way to integrate messages within a global marketing strategy.
SMS in an ecommerce: part of the strategy
Table of Contents
A digital marketing strategy is characterized by using different means or means of communication with customers through online media. Let’s think that the strategies that are most successful, today, and the ones that give the best results are always those that know how to approach the potential buyer in a personalized and close way. That is to say: looking for him in those spaces in which he is moving. It is more, even, in several at the same time.
In this way, combining SMS sending with work on social networks, SEM-type advertising or long-term SEO strategies not only becomes desirable, it is also essential. And it is only by working in an integrated way, we can access our audience at the right time so that we achieve more sales.
The use of SMS in Mobile Marketing
Now, if we want to integrate this element into the strategy, it is necessary that we know well how it works and, at the same time, what opportunities it offers us. That is: what valuable data can help us understand the enormous importance of using this communication channel:
– 9 out of ten online shoppers have made one or more of their purchases , at least once, via mobile. Therefore, focusing advertising directly on this device will be especially successful for an ecommerce.
– 48% of purchases start from the mobile . They don’t necessarily have to end, too, on this device. For example, a user may be browsing the Internet from his mobile and find a product or service that is interesting to him. And then buy it through the laptop. Actually, this transversality can occur at any time. And is that not all purchases are instant. Many require some reflection. The important thing is that we can see how a significant volume of sales starts directly on the smartphone.
– 96% of SMS are opened . This is probably the most important fact of all. The mobile, therefore, is a starting point for purchases and is widely integrated as a device with which to access online stores. In addition, SMS text messages are opened in the vast majority of cases and are read because of their great relevance compared to other channels. This wide rate does not usually occur, by far, in most of the media or channels that we have, in which we always have to start from the possibility that a large part of the public will ignore the message.
Better than a whatsapp or email.
So, if we have to get in contact with potential customers and we have to choose a medium, SMS is one of the best response rates. Largely due to the large open rate it registers.
Let’s think, for example, that within emails the open rate is much worse. We are talking about between 15 – 25%.
Obviously, and as we have already seen, this does not mean that we only choose this communication model. Let us remember that the most effective is to integrate them all together in a global strategy. But we do have to bear in mind that this medium guarantees us more impacts than the others.
How to use SMS to sell through an ecommerce
What job or sales opportunities can we get using SMS in an e-commerce ? The truth is that SMS is not only used as a form of direct sales. It gives us other work options and can help us meet or meet different objectives. For example:
– An information channel: We can keep customers informed about orders, shipments, offers or any other change or novelty in the company that may affect us directly or indirectly. In this way we build loyalty and improve engagement.
– Custom campaigns. A good database can be segmented in multiple ways. Something similar to what happens, for example, in the case of e-mails or even mail. By age, likes or interests. The segmentation option can be used to generate effective sales campaigns.
– Use SMS to recover lost sales. For example, suppose someone has left some purchases in the cart and the operation has not finished. A percentage will never complete the process, but another percentage has simply forgotten to do so, and is willing to settle the purchase. By reminding you, we saved quite a few sales about to fall.
– Take advantage of opportunities. For example, temporary discounts, Black Friday or the appearance of new products and services in the online store. In this way, we attract more traffic and attention on them.
Some examples in SMS campaigns
We are going to analyze some of the previous cases. Imagine, for example, that it is about reporting an order that has been requested. We can put the following:
Good morning, Ana. Your order has already left the plant and will be there this afternoon. Remember that you can see its position at any time by adding this code in our search engine. Thanks for trusting us”.
It is a simple and informative message . And, in addition, we give the option of re-entering the website, so that we not only build loyalty , but also stimulate traffic. This makes it easier for us to become a reference and a trusted brand.
Another example, in case, for example, of a special offer or that we seek to generate a sale :
“Hello Alberto! You already have here a whole new range of quality products. Designed for you and for your enjoyment, with a discounted price. Discover them in this link: »
Here are important elements that we explain below. Mainly, there are two: segmentation and landing pages.
In any type of communication within digital marketing it is essential that we maintain a tone the more personal, the better. Mainly, because that will help us to strengthen the bond that we are going to be able to develop with clients. Let’s think that it is something that does not have to take too long, and is not limited to simply knowing its name.
Your age range, your previous purchases, your geographical location, etc. Gathering all the possible data we can create different lists in the database , so that we send the most relevant offers or opportunities to each of the groups that we have formed.
In this way, we win in proximity and we can further refine the advertising that we introduce and send to them.
One of the most important elements within the SMS that we are going to send is the landing that we use. That is, the page that receives users who click on the link in the messages. It is essential that it be attractive and useful to them so that they do not abandon it and, in this way, so that they can fulfill the objectives that we had in mind.
How does your design have to work?
– Made to scale. That is, a responsive design that is perfectly adapted to the type of mobile on which the page is loaded. In this way, there will be no problems navigating it and users will not abandon it.
– An easy to consume design. The mobile is touch, the user can easily enlarge or reduce the image. Therefore, let’s try to promote that flexibility with a design that is very thoughtful for mobile phones.
– Think scroll. Put all the text and images in a column and the user can easily handle it. Today, the correct way to move online with the mobile has been internalized and massified, so it will be a positive thing.
– Short and impressive. Both the text and the images that we are going to introduce have to offer the maximum possible amount of information in the least space. That it is not a long process to understand and that users do not waste time deciphering what we offer them. Showy and direct.
We have different options that we can contract for the plan. The first thing is to define the objective, then the audience and, finally, the content. The latter, generally, is deduced from the two previous points. And, in terms of shape, you can have a wide variety of different templates. And, among them, find some more impressive and others more subtle. In this way we can choose the most appropriate to effectively communicate the message you want to convey.
In conclusion, SMS communication can be our great ally to improve the sales of an ecommerce. And at LabsMobile we help you achieve those goals